Melissa Lafreniere MA, RP, QFAS, is a registered psychotherapist, family relationship professional/child specialist and family mediator-arbitrator who specializes in the development of child focused parenting plans for separating couples. As a relationship professional, she knows how important it is to feel heard and validated throughout the divorce process which is why she strives to create meaningful and thoughtful connections with all of her clients while simultaneously keeping them focused on moving forward. As a collaborative neutral, Melissa helps her clients manage their emotions, navigate the divorce process and supports them to prioritize their long term interests over positions.
As a clinician specializing child and family therapy Melissa, supports separating families to create new co parenting relationships by working with both spouses to identify new ways of communicating/interacting that will help to shift the focus from a spousal relationship to one that is focused on co-parenting. Melissa’s priority throughout the entire process is to minimize the impact of this life change on the children and to ensure that they are well adjusted and thriving long after the settlement has been reached. With this specific goal in mind and in the role of a Child Specialist, she is also available to complete formal and informal Voice of the Child (VOC) reports for separating parents who are looking to gain a deeper understanding of the impact of their separation on their child(ren).
Memberships and Affiliations:
Melissa is a member of the College of Registered Psychotherapists of Ontario, an associate member of the Ontario Association of Family Mediators and the Family Dispute Resolution Institute of Ontario. She is also a trained parenting facilitator for Circle of Security International.
- Parenting Mediation (development of child centric parenting agreements and co-parenting support)
- Collaborative Divorce Support (jointly retained by separating couples)
- Divorce Coaching (individual support for those who need help equalizing power imbalances, emotional support and system navigation)
- Voice of the Child Reports/ Child Specialist
- Child and Family Therapy ( parent child conflict, post divorce support for children, reunification therapy)